Many people have heard of the term “home-based business” before. It is not a new concept to many, but there are still some misconceptions about what that means and how you can succeed.
As a home-based business owner, you don’t want people coming to your residence, but we want to help you be discoverable. Let’s explore how you can get your home-based business found by potential customers online so that you’ll be able to increase your bottom line!
Having a home-based business can be a ‘win’ for many reasons. For example, there are typically fewer start-up and overhead costs. Running the business out of your home also saves you time and allows you to control your work schedule and environment.
Here are a few tips on ways to get your home-based business noticed:
- Use Our Directory – our women-owned business directory can help you be found by the community and has the added benefit of increasing your SEO. The directory also helps connect you to other women-owned businesses throughout the state, across various industries.
- List your business on Google My Business. That way, people can find you if they are looking for your type of business. Google allows you to list the area where your business is located without sharing your home address publicly. You can also have a general listing if you are an e-commerce business or service business that isn’t limited by location. In addition, the Google My Business help desk can provide you with specific tips for your business.
- Have a website! Having a website will help you promote your products and services. Most people will check out your website before they decide to buy. You can get started with an easy-to-use template over at WordPress or Squarespace. Just be sure that it is optimized for search engines like Google (SEO) so people will find you online.
- Create a Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn page for your business and include pictures of what you do. Keep up on your social media by posting regularly. Include updates and share photos of yourself. Consistency is the most important part.
- Connect your website, social media profiles, and other places where people can find more information about you. Being visible in cyberspace is vital to take advantage of all the platforms you can list your business information on. (SEE ABOVE for suggestions.)
- Get reviews or testimonials from customers or clients-post on your website and all social media platforms. This also helps to show credibility to new customers.
- Start a blog. Blogs are an important SEO tool. People love to hear personal stories and it gives them a feeling of seeing behind the scenes. This will give visitors to your site even more information about you and your business. Include a link to your blog in the “About” section of your website.
- Join networking or support groups related to the work you do, such as the Women’s Business Center of Utah, a women’s networking group, and your local Chamber of Commerce.
“There are many Utah women who run businesses out of their homes, and I am one of them. It’s a great way to keep your costs down and your family near,” said Ann Marie Wallace, State Director, Women’s Business Center of Utah. “Without a storefront, you have to promote your business in a different way. Being part of The Utah Women-Owned Business Directory will help your business be found more easily.”
If you are a Utah women-owned business and have not yet signed up to be included in the directory, please act now by visiting https://wbcutah.org/ and signing up for the free directory at https://utahwomenowned.com/.